LVIV AS A METROPOLITAN CENTER OF THE WESTERN REGION OF UKRAINE: PECULIARITIES OF DEMOGRAPHIC STRUCTURE
Keywords:metropolises, western region of Ukraine, demographic structure, age-sex ratio, mean, median and modal age, stable population
The paper deals with identifying modern features of population structure of Lviv city as the metropolis of the western region of Ukraine. It has been done by using comparative analysis of gender and age structure of Lviv population with the urban population of Lviv region and with the east and south Ukrainian metropolises. Th e modern peculiarities of gender and age composition of Lviv population are considered according to a set of indicators using statistical and demographic methods of structure and dynamics analysis as well as comparative assessment of structures using the model of stable population. Demographic structure is analyzed with estimation methods which haven’t been used in studies of these territorial objects yet. Th ere are several diff erent “thresholds” of sexes balancing age in the population of Lviv and other metropolises, which is explained by the gender specifi cs of educational and labor migration to these cities as educational and economic centers of Ukraine with their inherent features of economic major. Th e analysis revealed that among the considered cities the population of Lviv is younger, it has a slightly higher proportion of youth and women in reproductive age, signifi cantly lower demographic burden on population of working age by older people and higher burden by children and adolescents. Th ese features are associated with more favorable regime of natural reproduction and refl ects the existing and potential demoeconomic advantages of Lviv against the background of the south and east cities. Th e population of Lviv is, however, demographically older than the urban population of Lviv region (minus the regional center) due to relatively higher life expectancy and slightly lower reproductive activity. Th e study has underlined the diff erences between Lviv and studied metropolises of the south and east in terms of its demographic structure. It should be noted that although in the short and medium term the population aging in Lviv will be pro gressing, but in general the center of the western region of Ukraine has better demographic prerequisites for socio-economic development and, in particular, spurring the innovation.References:
- Benovska, M. (2017). Urban sprawl in the post-soviet sphere in comparison of Lviv (Ukraine) and Riga (Latvia). Eesti Maaülikool. Retrieved from http://dspace.emu.ee/xmlui/ handle/10492/3649
- Pantyley, V. (2017). Human capital of the child population and its selected determinants: Case study of Lviv city, Ukraine. Środa-Murawska, S., & Szymańska, D. (Eds.). Bulletin of Geography. Socio-economic Series, 37, 77-93. Toruń: Nicolaus Copernicus University. https://doi.org/10.1515/bog-2017-0026
- Petruk, S., & Ładysz, J. (2012). Problems of Demographic Development on the Eastern Border of the European Union: Case Study of the Western Ukraine. ACC Journal XVIII, 2/2012, Issue B. Social Sciences and Economy, 153-161. Retrieved from http://acc-ern.tul. cz/images/journal/sbornik/ACC_JOURNAL_2012_B.pdf#page=155
- Melnyk, M. I. (2016). Metropoliini funktsii velykykh mist Ukrainy: potentsial rozvytku ta perspektyvy realizatsii [Metropolitan functions of large cities of Ukraine: development potential and prospects for implementation]. State Institution “Institute of regional research named aft er M. I. Dolishniy of NAS of Ukraine”. Lviv [in Ukrainian].
- Stupen, M., Dudiak, R., Stupen, R., & Ryzhok, Z. (2018). Problemy rozvytku haluzi turyzmu u Lvivskii oblasti [Problems of tourism industry development in Lviv region]. Ahrarna ekonomika - Agrarian Economics, Vol. 11, 3-4, 48-54. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.31734/agrarecon2018.03.048 [in Ukrainian].
- Iukish, V. V., & Ovchynnikova, T. V. (2016). Sotsialno-ekonomichni chynnyky rozvytku demohrafi chnykh protsesiv i pratsevlashtuvannia naselennia u Lvivskii oblasti [Socioeconomic factors of demographic processes and employment in the Lviv region]. Naukovyi visnyk Khersonskoho derzhavnoho universytetu. Seriia ekonomichna - Scientific Bul letin of Kherson State University. Th e series is economic, Issue 16, Part 3, 97-101 [in Ukrainian].
- Skliarska, O. (2016). Utvorennia obiednanykh terytorialnykh hromad u konteksti vplyvu na rozvytok poselen (na prykladi Lvivskoi obl.) [Formation of united territorial communities in the context of the impact on the development of settlements (on the example of Lviv region)]. Visnyk Lvivskoho universytetu. Seriia heohrafi chna - Bulletin of Lviv University. The series is geographical, Issue 50, 349-358 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.30970/vgg.2016.50.8724
- Dnistrianska, N., & Zhulkanych, B. (2016). Demohrafi chnyi potentsial selyshchnoi merezhi Lvivskoi oblasti [Demographic potential of the settlement network of Lviv region]. Visnyk Lvivskoho universytetu. Seriia heohrafi chna -Bulletin of Lviv University. Th e series is geographical, Issue 50, 148-153 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.30970/vgg.2016.50.8690
- Hudzeliak, I. (2013). Demohrafichna sytuatsiia u misti Lvovi [Demographic situation in the city of Lviv]. Visnyk Lvivskoho universytetu. Seriia heohrafi chna - Bulletin of Lviv University. Th e series is geographical, Issue 41, 109-116 [in Ukrainian]. https://doi.org/10.30970/vgg.2013.41.1937
- Kurylo, I. O. (2020). Demographic Aging in the Capital of Ukraine, its Features and Modern Challenges. Demography and Social Economy, 3 (41), 17-36. https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2020.03.017 [in Ukrainian].
- Shevchuk, P. E., & Yehorchenkov, O. V. (2020). Probabilistic Demographic Forecasts for Metropolises of Ukraine. Demography and Social Economy, 3 (41), 76-90. https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2020.03.076
- Pyrozhkov, S. I. (2008). Vybrani naukovi pratsi. U dvokh tomakh. Tom 1. Demohrafi chnyi i trudovyi potentsial [Notice on selected works. Vol. 1. Demographic and Labour Poten tial]. Kyiv. Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Ірина Курило, Тетяна Гаращенко
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.