EMANCIPATIVE VALUES AND REPRODUCTIVE BEHAVIOR IN THE CONTEXT OF DEMOGRAPHIC MODERNIZATION (Based on World Values Survey (2017-2020) Data)
Keywords:emancipative values, demographic modernization, reproductive behavior, number of children, World Values Survey, Welzel emancipative values, Censored Poisson regression
The article deals with analysis of relationship between the prevalence of emancipative values and demographic modernization in the field of reproductive behavior and fertility using the data of the latest wave of World Values Survey (2017-2020). The study is aimed to compare the commitment of respondents from different countries to emancipative values (according to the index “Welzel emancipative values”), to assess the impact this complex “value factor” has on the number of respondents’ children, on their attitudes to childbirth, on the age of motherhood. Also focus of this study includes analysis of factors that affect index value, in particular individual socio-demographic characteristics of respondents. Within this study an attempt is made for the first time to model the relationship between the commitment to emancipative values and number of children controlling for the impact of both the individual socio-demographic characteristics of the respondent and the stage of demographic transition in his / her country. Other components of the research with results that potentially can contribute to the existing literature are related to studying: relationship between the prevalence of emancipative values and the attitude to the evaluative judgment on the mandatory birth of children; impact of the emancipative values’ spread on motherhood age; impact of respondents’ socio-demographic characteristics on their commitment to emancipative values (based on the Ukrainian data). Censored Poisson regression is used to model the relationship between the emancipative values index and the number of respondent’s children. Regression model (linear regression estimated by OLS) is estimated to determine the dependence of value orientations’ (according to Welzel values) on the age of respondents from Ukraine, controlling for the influence of such variables as sex, education level and type of settlement. Evaluation of the impact average value of Welzel index has on attitudes towards childbirth, as well as its effect on the mean age of mother at the first child birth is carried out at the national level based on WVS data using correlation-regression analysis. There is a statistically significant inverse relationship between index of emancipative values and number of children. The effect of this value factor is bigger in magnitude compared to the effects of such factors as age, gender, type of settlement, education level of the respondent (all abovementioned effects are statistically significant). There is a strong statistically significant relationship between the prevalence of emancipative values and the increase in the proportion of those who do not perceive the childbirth as a social duty. Also obtained results reveal that the spread of emancipative values has statistically significant positive effect on the mother’s age at the first birth (i.e. with the higher level of emancipative values the mother’s age at the first birth is increasing). Conducted analysis showed the statistically significant age effect in the differentiation of the Welzel index among Ukrainian respondents, as well as the effect of their settlement place and educational level on propensity to emancipative values.
- Vishnevskij, A. H. (Ed). (2006). Demograficheskaja modernizacija Rossii, 1900-2000 [Demo graphic modernization of Russia, 1900-2000]. Moskwa : Novoe izdatel’stvo [in Russian].
- Lesthaeghe, R. D. van de Kaa (1986). Twee demografische transities? Bevolking - Groei en Krimp. Special issue of Mens en Maatschappij. Van Loghum Slaterus. Deventer [in Ne derlands].
- Macura, Miroslav, & Macdonald (Eds) (2005, January). The New Demographic Regime: Population Challenges and Policy Responses. United Nations. New York and Geneva.
- Schwartz, S. H. (2012). An Overview of the Schwartz Theory of Basic Values. Online Readings in Psychology and Culture, 2, 1-120.
- Inglehart, R. F, & Welzel, C. (2005). Modernization, Cultural Change and Democracy: the Human Development Sequence. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Inglehart, R. F. & Welzel, C. (2010). Values, Agency, and Well-Being: A Human Development Model. Social Indicators Research, 97 (1), 43-63.
- Welzel, C., & Inglehart, R. F. (2016). Misconceptions of Measurement Equivalence: Time for a Paradigm Shift. Comparative Political Studies, 49 (8), 1068-1094.
- Inglehart, R. F. (2018). Cultural Evolution: People’s Motivations are Changing, and Reshaping the World. Cambridge University Press.
- Welzel, C. (2013). Freedom Rising: Human Empowerment and the Quest for Emancipation. Cambridge University Press.
- Hitlin, S., & Piliavin, J. A. (2004). Values: Reviving a dormant concept. Annual Review of Sociology, 30, 359-393. https:// doi:10.1146/annurev.soc.30.012703.110640
- Basáñez, Miguel E., & Inglehart, Ronald F. (2016). A World of Three Cultures: Honor. Achievement and Joy. 1-st Edition. Oxford University Press.
- Kistler, D., Thöni, C., & Welzel, C. (2017). Survey Response and Observed Behavior: Emancipative and Secular Values Predict Pro-Social Behaviors. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 48 (4), 461-489.
- Welzel, C., Inglehart, R. F., & Kruse, S. (2016). Pitfalls in the Study of Democratization: Testing the Emancipatory Theory of Democracy. British Journal of Political Science, 47, No. 2, 463-472.
- Brieger, S., Francoeur, C., Welzel, C., & Ben-Amar, W. (2019). Empowering Women: The Role of Emancipative Forces in Board Gender Diversity. Journal of Business Ethics, 155, 495-511. https:// doi: 10.1007/s10551-017-3489-3
- Saveliev, Yu. B. (2015). [Emancipative values and tolerance in the context of modernization of Ukrainian society]. Ukrainskyi sotsium - Ukrainian society, 1 (52), 68-81 [in Ukrainian].
- Saveliev, Yu. B. (2018). Cotsialne vkliuchennia yak vymir modernizatsii yevropeiskykh suspilstv [Social inclusion as a dimension of modernization of European societies]. Extended abstract of candidate’s thesis. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Magun, V. S., & Rudnev, M. G. (2012). Tsennostnaya geterogennost naseleniya evropeyskih stran: tipologiya po pokazatelyam R. Inglharta [Value heterogeneity of the population of European countries: typology according to R. Inglehart’s indicators]. Vestnik obshhestvennogo mnenija. Dannye. Analiz. Diskussii - Public Opinion Bulletin. Data. Analysis. Discussions., 3-4, 12-24 [in Russian].
- Salnikova, D., & Karabchuk, T. (2021). Gender Equality and Individualistic Values as Determinants of Employment and Income in Central Asian Countries. Gendering Post-Soviet Space. Springer. Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-9358-1_16
- Kazenin, K., & Kozlov, V. (2011). Gender Relations and Transition to Motherhood in the Post-Soviet Kyrgyzstan. Gendering Post-Soviet Space. Springer. Singapore. https://doi.org/10.007/978-981-15-9358-1_2
- Karabchuk, T. S., & Kechetova, A. P. (2017). Kolichestvo detey i semeynyie tsennosti: suschestvuyut li kogortnyie razlichiya v Evrope? [The number of children and family values: are there any cohort differences in Europe?]. Monitoring obschestvennogo mneniya: Ekono micheskie i sotsialnyie peremenyi - Monitoring of Public Opinion: Economic and Social Changes, 5, 251-270. https:// doi: 10.14515/monitoring.2017.5.14. [in Russian].
- Inglehart, R. F., Ponarin, E., & Inglehart, R. C. (2017). Cultural Change, Slow and Fast: The Distinctive Trajectory of Norms Governing Gender Equality and Sexual Orientation. Social Forces, 95, 1313-1340. https:// doi.org/10.1093/sf/sox008
- Haerpfer, C., Inglehart, R., Moreno, A., Welzel, C., Kizilova, K., Diez-Medrano, J., La gos, M., Norris, P., Ponarin, E., & Puranen, B., et al. (2020). World Values Survey: Round Seven - Country-Pooled Datafile. Madrid, Spain & Vienna, Austria: JD Systems Institute & WVSA Secretariat. https:// doi.org/10.14281/18241.1
- Fischer, R., & Poortinga, Ype., H. (2012). Are cultural values the same as the values of individuals? An examination of similarities in personal, social and cultural value structures. International Journal of Cross Cultural Management, 12.2, 157-170. https:// doi:10.177/1470595812439867
- Aksyonova, S. Yu., & Kurylo, I. O. (2018). Vidkladannia narodzhen v Ukraini kriz pryzmu realnykh pokolin zhinok [Postponement of births in Ukraine through the prism of the reality of generations of women]. Demohrafiia ta sotsialna ekonomika - Demography and Social Economy, 3 (34), 11-25. https:// doi.org/10.15407/dse2018.03.011 [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021 Ірина Курило
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.