CONCORDANCE WITH THE SOCIAL GOALS OF POST-WAR RECOVERYIN THE FORMATION AND USE OF UKRAINIAN LOCAL BUDGET FUNDS
Keywords:local budgets, territorial communities, welfare, financial equalization, decentralization, social services, economic development
The results of reforming the system of interbudgetary relations in Ukraine are studied in terms of the degree of local self-government participation in solving regional development problems. Normative and legal acts, which introduced changes in the functioning of administrations in wartime and changed the procedure for budget planning and reporting, are singled out. The paper offers options for dividing the country into functional types of territories to stimulate their direct financing. Emphasis is placed on the established norm regarding the mandatory preparation of a development strategy for each community. Attention is focused on the need to strengthen interstate partnership in the process of post-war reconstruction of the country and the implementation of European experience in the legislative regulation of regional development. The possibility of applying the European concept «S3» in Ukraine as a policy of determining priorities for the development of regions on the basis of smart specialization is outlined. The changes in the sources of revenues to the local budgets of Ukraine and the directions of their use for the purposes of post-war reconstruction are clearly presented and substantiated. Incomes and expenditures of local budgets for 2018—2022 have been analyzed. The interbudgetary transfer line items are singled out with the provision of proposals for the implementation of the system of vertical-horizontal equalization of communities’ capacity. The community sector’s levers of influence on the processes of local budget funds allocation in order to strengthen social ties and increase the social capital of territorial communities are determined. An assessment of changes in the structure of local budgets’ own revenues and in the composition of financed programs is carried out. Subsidization trends have been systematized and the subsidy level of community budgets has been determined. The advantages of the carried out budget decentralization reform and its next steps are argued. Proposals for measures to improve the communication policy in relations between state authorities, local self-government bodies and territorial communities are provided.
- Abuselidze, G. (2021). The intergovernmental relations and their regulation in the context of decentralization of fiscal policy. E3S Web of Conferences, 280, 02010. http://doi:10.1051/e3sconf/202128002010
- Benveniste, J., & Mizrahi, S. (2023). Accountability, governance, and institutional change in intergovernmental relations: A theoretical framework. Politics & Policy, 1—14. http://doi: 10.1111/polp.12520
- Bergström, T., Franzke, J., Kuhlmann, S., & Wayenberg, E. (2021). The Future of Local Self-government: European Trends in Autonomy, Innovations and Central-local Relations. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-56059-1
- Tkachyk, F. (2021). Architectonics of interbudgetary transfers and their impact on the financial independence of regions. Ekonomika ta derzhava, 8, 85—90. http://doi:10.32702/2306-6806.2021.8.85 [in Ukrainian].
- Krainyk, О., & Fedorchak, О. (2022). Financing the development of territorial communities in conditions of decentralization. Financial and Credit Activity: Problems of Theory and Practice, 2(43), 118—125. http://doi: 55643/fcaptp.2.43.2022.3558 [in Ukrainian].
- Lysiak, L., Kachula, S., & Binevych, Y. (2021). Changes in local budget revenues and expenditures in the financial decentralization process: EU experience in Ukrainian Investytsiyi: praktyka ta dosvid, 1, 22—29. http://doi: 10.32702/2306-6814.2021.1.22 [in Ukrainian].
- Petyk, L., & Koren, D. (2020). Interbudgetary transfers as the element of interbudgetary relations: current situation and development prospects. Young Scientist, 12(88), 155—158. http://doi: 10.32839/2304-5809/2020-12-88-32 [in Ukrainian].
- Decentralization in Ukraine (2023). https://decentralization.gov.ua/state?sort_direction=&sort [in Ukrainian].
- Approval of local budgets (2023). https://mof.gov.ua/uk/approval-materials-of-localbudgets [in Ukrainian].
- Onyshchuk, І. (2023). Analysis of the implementation of local budgets for 2022. https://decentralization.gov.ua/news/16105 [in Ukrainian].
- Association of Ukrainian Cities (2022). https://auc.org.ua/novyna/pryynyato-zakonshchodo-zasad-derzhavnoyi-regionalnoyi-polityky-ta-polityky-vidnovlennya [in Ukrainian].
- In the Rada, lances were broken again, but a compromise was found regarding local selfgovernment. (2022). https://lb.ua/news/2022/05/12/516618_radi_znovu_lamali_spisi_ale_znayshli.html [in Ukrainian].
- Zaiats, T., & Zhakhovska, V. (2021). Conversion of social capital in Ukraine: contradictions, principles and prospects. Demography and Social Economy, 1(43), 63—79. http://doi: 10.15407/dse2021.01.063 [in Ukrainian].
- Decentralization and Communities Amalgamations: Increasing the Urban and Rural Divide? KSE Center for Food and Land Use Research, All-Ukrainian Association of Communities (2022). https://kse.ua/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/Final-Report-II-partKAS.pdf
- Zaiats, T., & Kraievska, H. (2022). Social services for vulnerable categories of the population in territorial communities of Ukraine. Economy of Ukraine, 3, 57—74. http://doi: 10.15407/economyukr.2022.03.057 [in Ukrainian].
- Ukraine refugee situation. Refugees Operational Data Portal by UNHCR (2022). https://data.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine
- Vereshchuk, І. (2023). Ukraine has overcome the crisis threshold in terms of the number of IDPs. https://www.unian.ua/society/vereshchuk-utochnila-skilki-vpo-zareyestrovanov-ukrajini-v-berezni-12167304.html [in Ukrainian].
- Slobozhan, О. (2022). It is necessary to return the sources of income of local budgets. https://auc.org.ua/novyna/potribno-povernuty-dzherela-nadhodzhen-miscevyhbyudzhetiv-shchob-gromady-mogly-efektyvno [in Ukrainian].
- Decentralization in Ukraine. Dash-board (2023). https://decentralization.gov.ua/news/14076 [in Ukrainian].
- Bereziuk, К. Decentralization: which communities feed Ukraine and which are subsidized (2022). https://www.chesno.org/post/5092/ [in Ukrainian].
- State budget web portal for citizens (2023). https://openbudget.gov.ua/national-budget/incomes [in Ukrainian].
- Benovska, L. (2019). Financial equalization in the context of the reform of power decentralization: problems and prospects. Svit finansiv, 2(59), 85—97. https://doi.org/10.35774/sf2019.02.085 [in Ukrainian].
- Onyshchenko, V. (2021). Revenues and expenditures of local budgets in 2021. https://oblikbudget.com.ua/article/126-struktura-mstsevih-byudjetv-u-2021-rots [in Ukrainian].
- Decentralization in Ukraine (2023). https://decentralization.gov.ua/news/16105 [in Ukrainian].
- Cherenko, L., Poliakova, S., Shyshkin, V., & et al. (2023). The quality of the population’s life in Ukraine and the first consequences of the war. NAS of Ukr., Ptoukha Institute for Demography and Social Studies. https://idss.org.ua/arhiv/Монографія_якість.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Law of Ukraine «On Amendments to Chapter VI “Final and Transitional Provisions” of the Budget Code of Ukraine and other legislative acts of Ukraine» (2022). https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2134-20#Text [in Ukrainian].
- State budget web portal for citizens (2023). https://openbudget.gov.ua/national-budget/expenses?class=functional&view=table [in Ukrainian].
- Practices of functioning of starosta districts (2022). https://prosto.in.ua/ua/biblioteka/polisi-publikatsii/mobilni-tsnap-vikliki-ta-mozhlivosti-lyutij-2022-r-2 [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Олена Сова
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.