HUMANITARIAN ACTION IN THE CONDITIONS OF WAR IN UKRAINE
Keywords:humanitarian action, humanitarian crisis, humanitarian response, humanitarian aid, humanitarian actors
This article is devoted to the study of humanitarian action of the international and national actors in Ukraine. The urgency of the work is driven by the deepening of the humanitarian crisis against the background of the continuation of the active phase of the Russia-Ukraine war. The purpose of the article is to generalize the contextual changes of humanitarian action in Ukraine, including institutional, sectoral, managerial and other aspects. The novelty of the study consists in the formulation of proposals for the activation of humanitarian action in Ukraine at the national and local levels, which are rethought through the prism of the international humanitarian system and the features of humanitarian response in Ukraine. The desk research of open sources which is supported by a review of the latest thematic publications, operational summaries, data sets and their analysis is used for this purpose. An overview of the modern international humanitarian system, the main tools and mechanisms of humanitarian response is provided. International and domestic categorical apparatuses in the field of humanitarian action are compared. New dimensions of the humanitarian crisis, systemic challenges and operational problems of humanitarian response that arose after February 24, 2022 in Ukraine are summarized. The funding for humanitarian needs of Ukraine over the past decade has been analyzed, including interagency response plans for Ukraine for 2022 (the Flash Appeal and the Regional Refugee Response Plan). The humanitarian response at the international and national levels has been studied. It has been concluded that humanitarian action in Ukraine is based on reliable tools, mechanisms and models of the international humanitarian system, as well as on its own humanitarian traditions and initiatives. Together, they ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of humanitarian response and contribute to unprecedented financial support for Ukraine in the global dimension. Thanks to this, in a fairly short time, a new space for humanitarian action began to form in Ukraine, in which the presence of international and national humanitarian actors was expanded and the interaction of humanitarian actors was improved.
- Ukraine Flash Appeal (2022). August revision. https://reliefweb.int/report/ukraine/ukraineflash-appeal-march-december-2022
- ALNAP (2022). The State of the Humanitarian System. ALNAP Study. London: ALNAP/ODI. https://sohs.alnap.org/help-library/2022-the-state-of-the-humanitarian-systemsohs---full-report-0
- Enabling the local response: Emerging humanitarian priorities in Ukraine March-May 2022 (2022). UKHIH. https://www.alnap.org/help-library/enabling-the-local-responseemerging-humanitarian-priorities-in-ukraine
- Mechanisms for the provision of humanitarian assistance by the state under martial law (2022). National Agency on Corruption Prevention. https://nazk.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Mehanizmy-nadannya-derzhavnoyu-gumanitarnoyi-dopomogy-vumovah-voyennogo-stanu.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Humanitarian Charter. Sphere standards (2018). https://spherestandards.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/the-humanitarian-charter.pdf
- Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability (2015). CHS Alliance, Groupe URD and the Sphere Project. https://corehumanitarianstandard.org/files/files/Core-Humanitarian-Standard-Ukrainian.pdf
- OCHA Services: FTS: Glossary, Ukraine Crisis 2022, Ukraine Flash Appeal 2022, Ukraine Situation RRRP 2022, Total reported funding 2022 (2022). https://fts.unocha.org/
- Law of Ukraine On humanitarian aid of 10.22.1999 No. 1192-XIV. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1192-14#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Law of Ukraine On charitable activities and charitable organizations of 07.05.2012 No. 5073-VI. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/5073-17#Text [in Ukrainian].
- What Is a Humanitarian Emergency. Humanitarian Coalition (2022). https://www.humanitariancoalition.ca/what-is-a-humanitarian-emergency
- Humanitarian Response (2022). OCHA Services. https://www.humanitarianresponse.info/
- Inter-agency UNHCR-led refugee response plans (2022). UNHCR. https://emergency.unhcr.org/entry/55127/interagency-unhcrled-refugee-response-plans
- Saez, P. (2022). Navigating humanitarian dilemmas in the Ukraine crisis. HPG emerging analysis. London: ODI. https://www.odi.org/en/publications/navigating-humanitariandilemmas-in-the-ukraine-crisis
- Making the Invisible Visible: An evidence-based analysis of gender in the regional response to the war in Ukraine (2022). https://eca.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/2022-10/RGTF_MakingTheInvisibleVisible_UKR.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Saez, P. & Bryant, J. (2022). Two ways the humanitarian system should harness global solidarity with Ukraine. https://odi.org/en/insights/two-ways-the-humanitarian-systemshould-harness-global-solidarity-with-ukraine/
- Donor Contributions (2022). UNOCHA. https://www.unocha.org/ukraine/donorcontributions
- Ukraine: 5W Operational Presence As of 24 November 2022 (2022). OCHA. Services. https://reliefweb.int/map/ukraine/ukraine-5w-operational-presence-24-november-2022
- European Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid Operations. Ukraine factsheet (2022). European Commission. https://civil-protection-humanitarian-aid.ec.europa.eu/where/europe/ukraine_en
- Ukraine Private Sector Donations Tracker (2022). https://data.humdata.org/viz-ukraineps-tracker/
- Patrikeeva, N. (2022). Ukraine has already received more than half a million tons of humanitarian aid: which regions have the most. https://www.chesno.org/post/5243/ [in Ukrainian].
- Vasylenko, O. (2022). International humanitarian aid for Ukraine: victories and challenges. https://lb.ua/blog/oleksandra_vasylenko/525144_mizhnarodna_gumanitarna_dopomoga.html [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine On approval of the list of categories of goods recognized as humanitarian aid of 03.07.2022 No. 224. https://www.kmu.gov.ua/npas/pro-zatverdzhennya-pereliku-kategorij-tovariv-shcho-viznayutsya-gumanitarnoyudopomogoyu-bez-zdijsnennya-proceduri-viznannya-takih-tovariv-gumanitarnoyudopomogoyu-u-kozhnomu-224 [in Ukrainian].
- Portal of humanitarian aid Help.gov.ua (2022). https://help.gov.ua/ [in Ukrainian].
- Interactive aid map (2022). Ministry of Social Policy of Ukraine. https://www.msp.gov.ua/content/dashboard.html [in Ukrainian].
- Law of Ukraine On volunteering of 04.19.2011 No. 3236-VI. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/3236-17#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Rapid Gender Analysis of Ukraine (2022). UN WOMEN, CARE International. https://eca.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/2022-05/RGA of Ukraine_UKR-1.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Volunteer hub helps 400,000 Ukrainians make a difference. As war rumbles on, the Volunteer Platform is connecting Ukrainians with people in need: Press release. 11.07.2022 (2022). UNICEF. https://www.unicef.org/ukraine/press-releases/volunteer-hub-helps-400000-ukrainians-make-difference [in Ukrainian].
- About us. Volunteer Platform (2022). Volunteering in Ukraine. https://platforma.volunteer.country/about_us [in Ukrainian].
- Volunteer platform (2022). SpivDiia. https://spivdiia.org.ua/#projects [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainian service that connects volunteers and those who need help (2022). HELPLIST.io. https://helplist.io/#filter/0/0/all [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2023 Khmelevska, Oksana
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.