ASYMMETRIC OF THE CHARACTERISTICS OF “DECENT WORK” WITHIN THE ASPECTS OF REGIONAL HUMAN DEVELOPMENT
Keywords:asymmetry, decent work, human development, human development index, subindices
Applying asymmetry coeffi cients to investigate the “decent work” component in an index model of regional human development is proposed. Th e author presents the methodology for measuring asymmetry for aspects of human development and calculates asymmetry coeffi cients for the “decent work” aspect. Th e article analyzes the manifestations of asymmetry in leading regions and in regions with low subindex rate and gives the graphical representation of asymmetry concerning to the perfectly symmetric situation and the division of regions into groups according to the level of their asymmetry coeffi cients. Th e main characteristics that provoke asymmetry in the regions are identifi ed and the nature of their impact on human development is determined. Th e Matrix form presents the results of the division of regions by the level of decent work development and the degree of asymmetry of the component “decent work”. Th is analysis shows that there is a signifi cant positive relationship between the asymmetry index and the subindex rates of the decent work aspect. At the same time, it is revealed that a low asymmetry is not always accompanied by positive achievements. Th e problems of regional peculiarities are actualized today in the context of human development studies. Th ere is a special interest in establishing the sub-index aspects of human development, in particular the decent work. From now on, there is a need for more detailed methodological approaches, as well as a better analysis of the situation, process and to fi nd out the disproportions in the labor markets of Ukrainian regions. Th e purpose of the article is to present results of measuring the asymmetry of decent work components in an index model of regional human development. Th e methods of research are the following: logical analysis, generalization and analogy, statistical data analysis, graphical method, economic and mathematical modeling. Th e methodological basis of the presented research is the modern studies of human development. Th e novelty of the paper is the implementation of the new research idea of using asymmetry coeffi cients to investigate the decent work component within an index model of regional human development.
- ILO (n.d.). Decent Work Agenda for Ukraine on 2016-2019 years. www.ilo.org Retrieved from https://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---europe/---ro-geneva/---sro-budapest/ documents/genericdocument/wcms_470684.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Misha, V. (2008). Kadrova polityka na pidpryiemstvi: problemy i perspektyvy [Personnel policy at the enterprise: problems and prospects]. Actual problems of economics, 6, 165-168 [in Ukrainian].
- Miga, V. (2012). Asymmetry of the labour market’s subjects position. Bulletin of the National University “Lviv Polytechnic”, 748, 327-331. Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/ UJRN/VNULPM_2012_748_48 [in Ukrainian].
- Blyzniuk, V., & Yuryk, Yа. (2018). Asymmetricity in the development of the industrial segment of Ukrainian labor market. Economy and forecasting, 4, 65-80. doi: https://doi.org/ 10.15407/eip2018.04.065 [in Ukrainian].
- Ivashchenko, O., & Lobodynska, O. (2013). Gender segregation or gender asymmetry on the labor market: theoretical principles and empirical manifestations of employment in Ukraine. Ukrainian society, 1, 43-62 [in Ukrainian]. doi: https://doi.org/10.15407/socium2013.01.043
- Shubna, O. (2009). Asymetriia rehionalnoi struktury rozmishchennia trudovykh resursiv Ukrainy [Asymmetry of the regional structure of placement of labor resources of Ukraine]. Scientifi c Bulletin of the DSEA, 2 (8E), 443-449 [in Ukrainian].
- Szentes, T. (2003). World Economics 2: Th e Political Economy of Development Globalisation and System Transformation (Th e Political Economy of Underdevelopment Revisited). Budapest: Akademiai Kiado.
- Kolot, A. (2011). Asymetrii rozvytku sotsialno-trudovoi sfery: zarubizhnyi dosvid i vitchyzniani realii [Asymmetries of development of social and labor sphere: foreign experience and domestic realities]. Ukraina: aspekty pratsi - Ukraine: aspects of work, 8, 3-11 Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/Uap_2011_8_3 [in Ukrainian].
- Kolot, A. (2012). Asymetrii rozvytku sotsialno-trudovoi sfery: proiavy, prychyny, peredumovy podolannia [Asymmetries of social and labor sphere development: manifestations, causes, prerequisites for overcoming]. Actual problems of economics, 6, 205-211 [in Ukrainian].
- Methods of measuring regional human development (2020). www.idss.org.ua Retrieved from http://www.idss.org.ua/arhiv/Metodika_RLR.zip [in Ukrainian].
- Makarova, O. (2015). Measurement of the human development in Ukraine’s regions: methodological aspects and the evaluation of results. Economy of Ukraine, 3, 41-54 [in Ukrainian].
- Makarova, O., & Hladun, O. (2012). Regional Index of Human Development: Causes and Directions of Improving the Calculation Procedure. Statistics of the Ukraine, 1, 10-15. http://188.8.131.52:8080/jspui/bitstream/123456789/1012/1/10-15_1’2012(56)_ Makarova_Gladun.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Tsymbal, O., & Yarosh, O. (2015). Aktualni problemy dosiahnennia hidnoi zainiatosti moloddiu Ukrainy: analitychna zapyska [Actual problems in achieving decent employment for young people: An analytical note]. Ptoukha Institute for Demography and Social Studies of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- State Statistics Service of Ukraine (2020). Statistical collection “Regional Human Dev e- l opment”. www.ukrstat.gov.ua Retrieved from http://www.ukrstat.gov.ua/druk/publicat/ kat_u/2018/zb/09/zb_rlr2017_pdf.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Horemykina, Yu., & Kalashnikova, T. (2018). Main trends in human development of the Ukrainian leading regions. Global and National Problems of Economy, 22, 692-700. Retrieved from: http://global-national.in.ua/archive/22-2018/131.pdf [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.