YOUTH SOCIO-ECONOMIC GUIDELINES (ORIENTATIONS) THROUGH SUBJECTIVE ASSESSMENTS
Keywords:youth, satisfaction with living conditions, migratory moods, values of youth, behavioral guidelines of youth, assessment of fi nancial situation
State statistical indicators of the economic development do not include subjective factors affecting country’s population. So, rather optimistic assessments of Ukraine’s economic indicators contradict pessimistic moods and feelings of Ukrainian youth. The relevance of this study is due to the fact that the Low level satisfaction with the socio-economic situation in Ukraine and own opportunities and prospects of Ukrainian youth is the basis for the formation of behavioral guidelines, in particular, migratory moods. The purpose of this study is to analyze the attitude of young people to the economic environment in Ukraine, young people’s assessments of their own financial situation, and the relationship of such subjective assessments to the migratory moods of young people. The study used general scientific methods and special sociological methods to process and analyze the results of the study “Youth of Ukraine 2018”. According to the survey “Youth of Ukraine 2018”, a significant part of young people (88.9 %) thinks that economic situation became worse or didn’t change during last year. Youth assessments of their financial situation are also pessimistic 83.3 % of young people in Ukraine assess their family’s financial situation as average or below average. The novelty of this study is to analyze the relationship between youth subjective assessments of economic environment in Ukraine as an environment for the implementation of personal plans and intentions, youth assessments of their financial situation and youth migratory attitudes. Migratory moods of young people are formed on the dissatisfaction with their financial situation and the economic situation in the country under the influence of various factors, among the main ones are the desire to improve their financial situation through the desire to earn money or find a job. Migratory moods of young people are manifested to varying degrees depending on their formation. The degree of formation of migration intentions significantly depends on the real possibility of their implementation: the lower the level of material security, the more uncertain the migration guidelines. The young generation is a potential for the socio-economic revival of Ukraine, so its opinion, its assessments, its feelings are extremely important for the formation of adequate youth policy. Taking into account subjective factors which affect the behavioral orientations of young people is especially important in the formation of reasonable youth policy of Ukraine, and requires research, analysis and development of instruments based on such analysis.
1. Pro vnutrishnie ta zovnishnie stanovyshche Ukrainy v 2018 rotsi: Analitychna dopovid do shchorichnoho Poslannia Prezydenta Ukrainy do Verkhovnoi Rady Ukrainy [On the internal and external situation of Ukraine in 2018: Analytical report to the annual Address of the President of Ukraine to the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine] (2018). Natsionalnyi instytut stratepchnykh doslidzhen - National institute for strategic studies. niss.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://niss.gov.ua/sites/default/files/2018-09/Analit_Do povid_Poslannia_2018.pdf [in Ukrainian].
2. Kubiv, S. (2018). Ekonomichne stanovyshche Ukrainy 2018 [Economic Situation of Ukraine 2018]. kmu.gov.ua. Retrieved from https://www.kmu.gov.ua/ua/news/ekonomichnestanovishche-ukrayini-2018 [in Ukrainian].
3. Human Development Report 2019 Beyond income, beyond averages, beyond today: Inequalities in human development in the 21st century. (2019). United Nations Development Programme, New York, NY: UN Plaza. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/fi les/hdr2019.pdf
4. Busseri, M. A., & Sadava, S. W. (2011). A review of the tripartite structure of subjective well-being: Implications for conceptualization, operationalization, analysis, and synthesis. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 15 (3), 290.
5. Tov, W., & Diener, E. (2013). Subjective wellbeing. The Encyclopedia of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 3. Retrieved from https://ink.library.smu.edu.sg/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer=https://scholar.google.ru/&httpsredir=1&article=2651&context=soss_research
6. Stevenson, B., & Wolfers, J. (2008). Economic Growth and Subjective Well-Being: Reassessing the Easterlin Paradox. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity. Economic Studies Program. The Brookings Institution, 39(1 (Spring), 1-102. https:// DOI 10.3386/w14282
7. Inglehart, R., Foa, R., Peterson, C., & Welzel, C. (2008). Development, Freedom, and Rising Happiness: A Global Perspective (1981-2007). Perspectives on Psychological Science, 3 (4), 264-285. https://doi:10.1111/j.1745-6924.2008.00078
8. Graham, C. (2011). The pursuit of happiness: An economy of well-being. Brookings Institution Press.
9. Easterlin, R. A., & McVey, A. (et al.). (2011). Th e Happiness-Income Paradox Revisited. Institute of Labor Economics (IZA). Discussion Papers, 5799. Retrieved from http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2010/12/08/1015962107.full.pdf
10. Chіnakova, N. (2016). Ekonomika schastya: sovremennyie issledovaniya i diskussii [The Economics of Happiness: Current Research and Discussion]. Mir ekonomiki i upravleniya - World of Economics and Management. 16 (1), 101-116 [in Russian].
11. Libanova, E. M. (2018). Zovnishni trudovi mihratsii ukraintsiv: masshtaby, prychyny, naslidky [External labor migration of Ukrainians: scale, causes, consequences]. Demohrafi ia ta sotsialna ekonomika - Demography and the Social Economy, 2 (33), 11-26. https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2018.02.011
12. Molod na rynku pratsi: navychky XXI stolittia ta pobudova kariery. Shchorichna dopovid Prezydentovi Ukrainy, Verkhovnii Radi Ukrainy, Kabinetu Ministriv Ukrainy pro stanovyshche molodi v Ukraini (za pidsumkamy 2018 roku) (2019) [Youth in the labor market: 21st century skills and career building. Annual report to the President of Ukraine, the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine on the situation of youth in Ukraine (following the results of 2018)]. Derzhavnyi instytut simeinoi ta molodizhnoi polityky [State Institute of Family and Youth Policy]. Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
13. Molod Ukrainy - 2018. Rezultaty reprezentatyvnoho sotsiolohichnoho doslidzhennia (2018) [Youth of Ukraine - 2018: Results of representative sociological research]. Kyiv, Ukraine: DP «Redaktsiia informatsiinoho biuletenia «Ofitsiinyi visnyk Prezydenta Ukrainy » - Editorial of the newsletter «Official Bulletin of the President of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
14. Havryliuk, V. V., & Trykoz, N. A. (2002). Dynamyka tsennostnыkh oryentatsyi v peryod sotsyalnoi transformatsyy (pokolennыi podkhod) [Dynamics of value orientations during the period of social transformation (generational approach)]. Sotsyolohycheskye yssledovanyia - Sociological researches, (1), 96-105 [in Russian].
15. Katolyk, H. V., & Sofinska, H. V. (2014). Tsinnisni oriientatsii suchasnoi «zolotoi molodi [Value orientations of modern «golden youth»]. Aktualni problemy psykholohii – Current problems of psychology, 7, (37), 85-96 [in Ukrainian].
16. Ukrainske pokolinnia Z: tsinnosti ta oriientyry: rezultaty zahalnonatsionalnoho opytuvannia 2017 r. [Ukrainian generation Z: values and landmarks: the results of a nationwide poll in 2017]. (2017) Kyiv, Ukraine: Fond im. Fridrikha Eberta. Retrieved from http://neweurope.org.ua/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Ukr_Generation_ukr_inet-2.pdf [in Ukrainian].
17. Sakhno, Yu. (2019). Zadovolenist ukraintsiv riznymy aspektamy zhyttia ta tym, yak skladaietsia zhyttia v tsilomu: pres-reliz [Satisfaction of Ukrainians with different aspects of life and how life is made in general: a press release]. Кyivskyi mizhnarodnyi instytut sotsiolohii - Kiev International Institute of Sociology. Retrieved from https://www.kiis.com.ua/?lang=ukr&cat=reports&id=882&page=1&t=7# [in Ukrainian].
18. Holub, A. (2018). Kokhannia bez pospikhu. Portret ukrainskoi sim’i [Love without haste. Portrait of a Ukrainian family]. Tyzhden UA. Retrieved from https://tyzhden.ua/Society/209165 [in Ukrainian].
19. Tokariuk, O. (2017). Chomu molod iz “pokolinnia dvotysiachnykh” zhyve z batkamy. [Why young people from the “generation of two thousand” live with their parents]. Retrieved from https://hromadske.ua/posts/molod-iz-pokolinnia-dvotysiachnykh-zhyvez-batkamy [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.