THE VALUE OF HEALTH IN UKRAINE: FROM DECLARATION TO IMPLEMENTATION
Keywords:health, value, preventive activities, sociological research
Health is a universally recognized value and a prerequisite for a full life, work and social realization of person, the satisfaction of material and spiritual needs, his economic, political, scientific and cultural activities. The aim of the article is to demonstrate the place of health and healthcare in the hierarchy of universal values based on modern approaches to the essence of the value of health and the laws of Ukraine; to characterize the level of compliance of the real preventive acti vity with its proclaimed value based on the results of various sociological studies. The method of content analysis (to study modern views on the value of health and how it’s reflected in the national legislative field) and the sociological method (to assess the level of correspondence between the declared value of health and real activities aimed at preserving and strengthening it) are used. A comparative analysis of several population surveys (their fragments) is carried out, which concerned the importance of the category of health in the list of life values, the priority of state budget expenditures, understanding of European values, etc. The surveys were performed in Ukraine and abroad. The results of a study on the medical activity of the economically active population (aged 18-69) of the Chernivtsi region and a survey of the working age population (aged 18-59) in the Dnipropetrovsk region are analyzed. We also investigate the research data of the preventive activity of primary care doctors in the field of promoting a healthy lifestyle and eliminating risk factors for major non-communicable diseases. Parallels are drawn with other sociological studies. The article illustrates the difference between the proclamation by the Constitution of Ukraine of the highest social value of human life and health, and the priority of healthcare as a direction of state activity by Fundamentals of the Legislation of Ukraine on Healthcare; the tasks set for the implementation of the country’s Sustainable Development Goals and the distribution of expenditures of the state budget of Ukraine for the current 2021 year (the volume and share allocated to healthcare). The paper proves the existence of a socially important problem of a significant discrepancy between the degree of value of health proclaimed by people and their actual activities to preserve and strengthen it. The article substantiates the need to reflect the concept of the value of health in the social policy of the country as a whole and the policy in the field of Public Health in particular, in everyday medical practice, primarily through the real priority of the preventive component. Continuity over time with a change of governments, stability and sufficiency of resources provided for its implementation, and the development of a patient-centered system are defined as necessary conditions for the implementation of the concept of the value of health.
- Constitution of Ukraine from June 28, 1996, №254k/96-VR. (2020, January 1). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/254%D0%BA/96-%D0%B2%D1%80#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Fundamentals of Ukrainian legislation on health care: Law of Ukraine from November 19 1992, № 2801-XII ed. 02.05.2021. Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/ 2801-12#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Rokeach, M. (1973). The Nature of Human Values. Free Press. New York. USA.
- Marzorati, C., & Pravettoni, G. (2017). Value as the key concept in the health care system: how it has influenced medical practice and clinical decision-making processes. J Multidiscip Health, 10, 101-106. https://doi: 10.2147/JMDH.S122383
- Porter, M. E. (2010). What is value in health care? N Engl J Med, 363 (26), 2477-2481.
- Elton, J. (2014). What does ‘value’ mean in Healthcare? Retrieved from https://www. reutersevents.com/pharma/column/what-does-value-mean-healthcare
- Sustainable Development Goals Ukraine 2019. Monitoring report (2020). Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Agriculture of Ukraine and State Statistics Service of Ukraine. UNICEF in Ukraine.
- Healthy, prosperous lives for all in the European Region (2019). High-level Conference on Health Equity. Ljubljana, Slovenia. Background paper. Copenhagen, WHO Regional Office for Europe.
- Porter, M., & Olmsted Teisberg, E. (2007). Pereosmysleniye sistemy zdravookhraneniya. Kak sozdat’ konkurentsiyu, osnovannuyu na tsennosti i oriyentirovannuyu na rezul’tat [Redefining Health Care: Creating Value-Based Competition on Results] [in Russian].
- Rynhach, N. O. (2016). Zdorovia yak skladova liudskoho kapitalu ta zaporuka rozvytku [Health as a component of human capital and the key to development]. Visnyk Kamianets-Podilskoho natsionalnoho universytetu im. I. Ohiienka. Ekonomichni nauky - Herald Kamianets-Podilsky national Ivan Ohienko university. Economic sciences, 11. KamyanetsPodilsky : Medobory-2006. 249-258 [in Ukrainian].
- Bogatyreva, R. V. (2011). Determinanti zdorovіa ta natsionalna bezpeka [Determinants of health and national security]. (Y. I. Kundiev, Ed.). Kiyv [in Ukrainian].
- Cohen, J. P. (2020). Is There a Future for Value-Based Contracting? Value in Health. Vol. 23, Is. 4, 416-417.
- Svintsitsky, A. S. (2013). Zdorovіa naselennya yak vazhlyvyy chinnyk derzhavotvorennya ta natsional’noyi bezpeky [Population health as an important factor in state formation and national security]. Practitioner, 2, 7—13.
- Mityaeva, A. M. (2012). Zdorov’yesberegayushchiye pedagogicheskiye tekhnologii [Healthsaving pedagogical technologies]. Moskow : Academy [in Russian].
- Boychuk, Yu. D. (Ed.). (2017). Zahalna teoriia zdorovia ta zdoroviazberezhennia [General theory of health and healthcare]. Kharkiv: Publisher Rozhko S. G. [in Ukrainian].
- Kudryavtseva, E. N. (1987). Zdorov’ye cheloveka: problemy, suzhdeniya [Human health: problems, judgments]. Voprosyi filosofii - Questions of philosophy, 12, 98-109 [in Rus sian].
- Issledovatelskiy tsentr portala Superjob.ru [Portal Research Center Superjob.ru] (2020). Retrieved from https://www.superjob.ru/research/articles/112487/zdravoohranenie-iobrazovanie-dolzhny-byt-prioritetnymi-statyami-gosbyudzheta/ [in Russian].
- Zdorovia — naibilshe bahatstvo liudyny y natsii! [Health is the greatest wealth of a person and a nation!] (2018). Sait Demydivskoi silskoi rady - Website of Demidov village council. Retrieved from https://demydivska-gromada.gov.ua/news/14-36-42-21-03-2018/ [in Uk rainian].
- Lobodina, Z. (2013) Biudzhetne zabezpechennia okhorony zdorovia: determinanty vplyvu na liudskyi rozvytok [Budgetary provision of health care: determinants of impact on human development]. Svit finansiv - The World of Finance, 1, 75-86 [in Ukrainian].
- Law of Ukraine On state financial guarantees of medical care from October 19 2017, №2168-VIII (2017). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2168-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Law of Ukraine On the State Budget of Ukraine for 2021 from December 15 2020, №1082- IX (2020). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1082-IX#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Ukrainske suspilstvo ta yevropeiski tsinnosti / zvit za rezultatamy sotsiolohichnoho doslidzhennia [Ukrainian society and European value / report on the results of a so ciological study] (2017). Instytut Horshenina. Predstavnytstvo Fondu im. Fridrikha Eberta v Ukraini ta Bilorusi. Retrieved from https://library.fes.de/pdf-files/bueros/ukraine/13570.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Gazizullina, P. (2018). Socio-economic determinants of adolescent health in Russia. Population and Economics, Vol. 2. Is. 3, 70-113.
- Vorona, V. M., & Shulga, М. О. (Eds.). (2019). Ukrainske suspilstvo: monitorynh sotsialnykh zmin [Ukrainian society: monitoring of social change]. Is. 6 (20). Kyiv: Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine [in Ukrainian].
- Vlasyk, L. Y. (2020). Dosvid patsiienta ta yoho rol u medychnii aktyvnosti na prykladi ekonomichno aktyvnoho naselennia [The patient’s experience and his role in medical activity on the example of economically active population]. Visnyk sotsialnoi hihiieny ta orhanizatsii okhorony zdorovia Ukrainy - Bulletin of social hygiene and health care organization of Ukraine, 3 (85), 89-97.
- Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine On approval of the Procedure for providing primary care from March 19 2018, № 504 (2018). Retrieved from https://zakon.rada.gov. ua/laws/show/z0348-18#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Rynhach, N. O., & Keretsman, A. O. (2018). Obiznanist shchodo zdorovoho sposobu zhyttia ta dotrymannia yoho pryntsypiv [Awareness of a healthy lifestyle and adherence to its principles]. Poltavski dni hromadskoho zdorovia: materialy vseukrainskoi naukovo-pra ktychnoi konf. z mizhnar. uchastiu [Poltava Days of Public Health: Proceedings of the AllUkrainian scientific-practical conference with international participation]. Poltava [in Uk rainian].
- Rynhach, N., Sarioglo, V., Kanyuka, H., & Andrieieva, I. (2019). The Prevalence of the Main Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Diseases According to the Survey of the Working Age Population of Dnipropetrovsk Oblast. Fourth Annual BTRP Ukraine Regional One Health Research Symposium Abstract Directory. Kyiv.
- Levin-Zamir, D., Nutbeam, D., Sorensen, K., Rowlands, G., Van den Broucke, S., & Pelikan, J. (2019). Brief report on the International Union for Health Promotion and Education (IUHPE) position statement on health literacy: a practical vision for a health literate world. Public Health Panorama. Vol. 5. Is. 2-3, 206-09.
- Kickbusch, I., Pelikan, J. M., Apfel, F. & Tsouros, A. D. (Eds.). (2013). Health literacy. The solid facts. Copenhagen, WHO.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.