MATERNITY AGE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE VALUE OF TIME
Keywords:fertility, age of the mother at childbearing, value of time, time competence of the individual, ideal age
Rapid changes in society require quick individual adaptation to such changes. Under these conditions, the value of time increases. Awareness of this process becomes the basis for the formation of attitudes to a certain sequence of important events in human life and time / age for their implementation. It requires the development of time competence of the person not only at the level of daily practices and professional responsibilities, but also at the life level (whole course of life). The purpose of our study is to find out the relationship between advancing maternal age trend and awareness of the value of time and the development of time competence of the individual. The study for the first time considers the value of time and the development of time competence of the individual as a significant factor in change of the age of the mother at the birth of a child. Such scientific methods as comparison, analysis, generalization, graphic method are used in the paper. The analysis uses the materials of the international European Social Survey (ESS) of the third (2006—2007) and ninth (2018) rounds, which included the same module on the study of human life cycle organization. The theoretical basis of the study is the energy concept of psychological time, according to which personal time includes its energy component. The article analyzes the changesbet ween the 3rd and 9th rounds of the ESS in respondents’ perceptions regarding the age when a woman is generally too young to become a mother; the age whenwoman is generally too old to consider having any more children; the ideal age for a girl or woman to become a mother. The shift of these age characteristics towards older age groups in almost all countries participating in the 3rd and 9th rounds of the ESS is revealed. The precise answers of most respondents about the ideal age for a woman to become a mother — and thus to move to a new stage of her life — indicate the existence of personal time competence on the scale of life. It also shows that responsibility for choice of time (age) for the birth of a child / childrenmoves to the family or individual level (and this was mostly possible due to the development of family planning). In addition, the person is also responsible for the use of time before the birth of the child. Such processes reflect the awareness of the value of time, and simultaneously, further enhance its value.
- Kant, I. (2000). Krytyka chystoho rozumu [Critique of pure reason]. (I. Burkovskyi, trans.). Kyiv: Yunivers [in Ukranian].
- Zabelina, E. V., Smirnov, M. G., & Chestyunina, Yu. V. (2016) Psihologicheskoe vremya lichnosti v usloviyah globalizatsii: postanovka problemyi [Psychological time of an individual in the context of globalization: problem statement]. Universum: psihologiya i obrazovanie -Universum: psychology and education. 9 (27). Retrieved from https://7universum. com/ru/psy/archive/item/3607 [in Russian].
- Shulha, M. (2018). Zbii sotsialnoi matrytsi [Failure of the social matrix]. Kyiv: Institute of Sociology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine [in Ukranian].
- Time for the Family. Family Time Policy as an Opportunity for Sustainable Family Policy. The Eighth Family Report. (2011). The Federal Minister of Family Affairs. Senior Citizens, Women, and Youth. Berlin. Retrieved from https://eige.europa.eu/gender-mainstreaming/ resources/germany/time-family-family-time-policy-opportunity-sustainable-familypolicy-eighth-family-report-0
- Sukhenko, J. V. (2017). Psykholohichnyi chas osobystosti: zmistovno-khronolohichna lohika doslidzhennia fenomena [Psychological time of personality: semantic and chronological logic of the study of the phenomenon. Naukovyi visnyk Khersonskoho derzhavnoho universytetu. Seriia: Psykholohichni nauky - Scientific Bulletin of Kherson State University. Series: Psychological Sciences, (2). Retrieved from http://nbuv.gov.ua/UJRN/ nvkhp_2017_6(2)__20 [in Ukranian].
- Golovaha, E. I. (1984). Psihologicheskoe vremya lichnosti [Personality psychological time]. Kyiv: Nauk. dumka [in Russian].
- Makarova, O. V. (2019). Statystyka vykorystannia chasu u fokusi hendernykh doslidzhen [Time Use Statistics in the Focus of Gender Studies]. Demohrafiia ta sotsialna ekonomika - Demography and social economy, 4, 30-41. https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2019.04.030 [in Ukranian].
- Bochelyuk, V. Y., & Bochelyuk, V. V. (2006). Dozvillieznavstvo [Leisure science]. K.: Center for Educational Literature [in Ukranian].
- Klymenko, Yu. O. (2017). Katehoriia chasu v psykholohichnii nautsi [Category of time in psychological science]. Psykholohiia i osobystist - Psychology and personality, 1, 64-72. Retrieved from http://dspace.pnpu.edu.ua/bitstream/123456789/7220/1/Klymenko.pdf [in Ukranian].
- Abulhanova, K. A., & Berezina, T. N. (2001). Vremya lichnosti i vremya zhizni [Personality time and life time]. St. Petersburg: Aletheia. Retrieved from http://rubinstein-society.ru/ cntnt/nauchnie-raboti/raboti-k-a-abulh/monografii.html [in Russian].
- European Social Survey, ESS. (n. d.). europeansocialsurvey.org Retrieved from https:// www.europeansocialsurvey.org/data/download.html?r=3
- Billari, F. C., Goisis, A., Liefbroer, A. C., Settersten, R. A., Aassve, A., Hagestad, G., & Spéder, Z. (2011). Social age deadlines for the childbearing of women and men. Human reproduction, 26 (3), 616-622. Oxford. England. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deq360
- Kurilo, I. O., & Aksyonova, S. Yu. (2018). Vidkladannia narodzhen v Ukraini kriz pryzmu realnykh kohort zhinok [Postponement of childbirths in Ukraine through the prism of cohort women]. Demohrafiia ta sotsialna ekonomika - Demography and social economy, № 3 (34), 11-25. https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2018.03.011 [in Ukranian].
- Kaminska, О. (2020). Guide to Using Weights and Sample Design Indicators with ESS Data. europeansocialsurvey.org Retrieved from https://www.europeansocialsurvey.org/ docs/methodology/ESS_weighting_data_1_1.pdf
- Gornostay, P. P. (2003). Lichnost i vremya: Tvorchestvo kak perezhivanie [Personality and time: Creativity as an experience]. Psihodrama i sovremennaya psihoterapiya - Psychodrama and modern psychotherapy, 4, 18-26 [in Russian].
- Kuzmina, O. V. (2012). Tipologicheskie osobennosti vremennoy kompetentnosti lichnosti [Typological features of the temporal competence of the individual]. Vestnik Udmurtsko go universiteta. Filosofiya. Sotsiologiya. Psihologiya. Pedagogika - Bulletin of the Udmurt University. Philosophy. Sociology. Psychology. Pedagogy, 1, 30-36. Retrieved from https:// gigabaza.ru/doc/29716.html [in Russian].
- Kuzmina, O. V. (2015). O mehanizmah razvitiya vremennoy kompetentnosti lichnosti [On the mechanisms of development of the temporal competence of the individual]. Gumanizatsiya obrazovaniya - Humanization of education, 3. Retrieved from https:// cyberleninka.ru/article/n/o-mehanizmah-razvitiya-vremennoy-kompetentnosti-lichnosti [in Russian].
- Maharoblidze, A. V. (2015). Teoreticheskie podhodyi k issledovaniyu vremennoy kom petentnosti lichnosti [Theoretical approaches to the study of the temporal competence of an individual]. Pedagogicheskoe obrazovanie v Rossii - Pedagogical education in Russia, 8. Retrived from https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/teoreticheskie-podhody-k-issledovaniyuvremennoy-kompetentnosti-lichnosti [in Russian].
- Syirtsova, A. (2008). Vozrastnaya dinamika vremennoy perspektivyi lichnosti [Age dynamics of the personality’s time perspective]. Extended abstract of Candidate`s thesis. Moskow. Retrieved from https://www.dissercat.com/content/vozrastnaya-dinamika-vremennoiperspektivy-lichnosti [in Russian].
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.