UKRAINIAN REFUGEES IN ITALY: ACTIVITIES AND ASSISTANCE OF CARITAS AND «MIST-Il PONTE» ASSOCIATION
Keywords:Ukrainian refugees, Caritas, association, volunteering, help, survey, living conditions
The relevance of the article is due to the need to create comfortable conditions for Ukrainian refugees in their places of temporary residence in Italy. Since the full-scale invasion of the territory of Ukraine by Russian troops, during February-July 2022, 288 refugees arrived in the city of Gubbio, region of Umbria, most of them women aged 30-45 and minor children. The article reveals the role of the cohesion of the local population, the Ukrainian diaspora, the consolidation of the efforts of state bodies and the informal sector. The purpose of the article is to determine the socio-demographic characteristics of Ukrainian refugees who turn to Caritas and the association “MIST-IL PONTE” in Gubbio for help. In the course of the research, general scientific methods were used: face-to-face survey, analysis, synthesis, generalization. The novelty is the opinion of Ukrainian refugees about the activities of Caritas in cooperation with the association “MIST-IL PONTE” determined for the first time, on the basis of a developed questionnaire. The significance of the Italian government’s support for Ukraine and its refugees has been revealed, in particular on the issues of providing Ukrainian refugees with the temporary protected status, a high level of necessary social, educational and medical services. The results of the survey of Ukrainian refugees, which were taken into account by Caritas and the association “MIST-IL PONTE” in their further work, were analyzed. Minor problems encountered by Ukrainian refugees during their stay in Italy and their causes are identified. The priority of creating comfortable living conditions, receiving social, including educational, services is substantiated, since a significant part of refugees are minors of preschool and school age. Focused attention on the fact that the development and implementation of various thematic activities by the “MIST-IL PONTE” association with the participation of Ukrainian refugees, especially children, contributes to the recovery of their psychological state, rapid adaptation to society, learning the Italian language, culture, customs and traditions of the local population and indicates the solidarity of the Italian people in supporting Ukraine in the fight against the Russian aggressor. The reasons why refugees intend to stay in Italy have been established. Some of them plan to return in a couple of months, and others - after the end of the war in Ukraine. In general, most Ukrainians have already returned. The variety of services received, the constant assistance of Caritas and the professionalism of its volunteers are highly rated by Ukrainian refugees. Caritas in Gubbio operates in 8 parishes, where it has its branches. Thanks to the functioning of the national web-platform, a single registration database has been created, which contains general information about persons, their status and needs. This specificity of activity ensures the provision of high-quality and quick assistance to everyone who is registered.
- Characteristics of households of internally displaced persons - beneficiaries of assistance from the Caritas Ukraine International Fund (2018). Kyiv [in Ukrainian].
- Holovko, L. & Zvonar, V. (2022). The provision of social services to internally displaced persons in the communities of Ukraine. Transformation of economy, finance and management in modern conditions: monograph. State University of Jan Kochanowski. Riga, Latvia: Baltija Publishing, 295-307. https://doi.org/10.30525/978-9934-26-220-3-18
- Libanova, E., Pozniak, O. & Tsymbal, O. (2022). Scale and consequences of forced migration of the population of Ukraine as a result of armed aggression of the Russion Federation. Demography and Social Economy, 2 (48), 37-57. https://doi.org/10.15407/ dse2022.02.037 [in Ukrainian].
- The number of refugees from Ukraine after February 24 has already exceeded 9 million people, – UN. (2022). https://espreso.tv/kilkist-bizhentsiv-z-ukraini-pislya-24-lyutogouzhe-perevishchila-9-mln-osib-oon [in Ukrainian].
- 4 million refugees from Ukraine have received temporary protection status in Europe, Poland, Germany and the Czech Republic are the leaders – UN. (2022). https://interfax. com.ua/news/general/840184.html [in Ukrainian].
- Vechirko, T. (2022). Rights of Ukrainians abroad during the war. https://www.prostir. ua/?library=prava-ukrajintsiv-za-kordonom-pid-chas-vijny&fbclid=IwAR1B8kLLmBDJ N1QWua_lHZ-NC-xWp1UsiojioZ49WXs_uzOa0A3EeEYBt2o [in Ukrainian].
- Italy is preparing to accept 600 Ukrainian refugees with the help of Caritas. (2022). https:// synod.ugcc.ua/data/italiya-gotutsya-pryynyaty-600-ukraynskyh-bizhentsiv-zadopomogoyu-karitasu-8548/ [in Ukrainian].
- Kapustynska, T. (2022). Live in the moment and do your thing: how «Zaporuka» helps children with cancer and builds a home for displaced people. https://media.zagoriy. foundation/speczproyekty/zhyvesh-momentom-i-robysh-svoyu-spravu-yak-fondzaporuka-dopomogaye-onkohvorym-dityam-likuvatysya-za-kordonom-ta-buduye-dimdlya-pereselencziv/ [in Ukrainian].
- Umbria (2022). https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki [in Ukrainian].
- Caritas in the world (2022). https://caritas.ua/internationalis/ [in Ukrainian].
- Kashchei, I. (2022). Ukrainian refugees in Italy: bureaucracy against the sensitivity of Italians. https://lb.ua/world/2022/07/21/523853_ukrainski_bizhentsi_italii.html [in Ukrainian].
- Kashchei, I. (2022). Ukrainian refugees in Italy: sunny hospitality and a lot of bureaucracy. https://lb.ua/world/2022/06/01/518645_ukrainski_bizhentsi_italii_sonyachna.html [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Лілія Головко, Леся Королик-Бойко
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.