IF THERE WERE NO WAR: DEMOGRAPHIC INDICATORS FORECAST FOR VYSHGORODSKY DISTRICT, KYIV OBLAST
Keywords:demographic indicators, forecasting, splines, Vyshgorodsky district, Kyiv oblast communities
Demographic processes have been disturbed on those Ukrainian territories which have undergone occupation as a result of Russian Federation’s war against Ukraine. However, in order to rebuild such territories, local authorities need information on the prospects of demographic situation. Therefore, determining possible information sources and choosing models to forecast demographic indicators for local communities is relevant.
The purpose of this work is identifying possible information sources and choosing models to predict demographic indicators for local communities; forecasting of population numbers, birth rate and mortality via splines for Vyshgorodsky district, Kyiv oblast communities. Novelty: forecasting of demographic indicators for local communities via spline functions. It has been shown that retrospective demographic research at local communities level is possible, if the communities’ contemporary borders correspond to the past administrative and territorial division. However, there are certain limitations regarding the indicators set. The analysis of 1979-2020 data on population numbers, birth rate and mortality for Ivankivsky and Polisky local communities has shown that the 1986-1988 data cannot be used for forecasting, since it varies considerably. This has been caused by the evacuation of residents from Chornobyl Exclusion Zone and administrative and territorial changes. The usage of spline functions in forecasting has shown that splines which have 5-7 knots are optimal. The most adequate forecasts of population numbers can be obtained via cubic splines, whereas the most trustworthy forecasts of birth rate and mortality – via linear continuous splines. It has been determined that the last years’ trends in population numbers, birth rate and mortality would continue in Vyshgorodsky district, Kyiv oblast local communities during 2021-2024. Due to hostilities on the territory of the district, there is no true data on demographic situation, and actual data may turn out to be far from the forecasted because of families with children emigration and mortality growth. Further research to improve the methodology of demographic forecasting by taking into account accidents that cause unfavorable demographic consequences is necessary.
- Law of Ukraine On approval of the Decree of the President of Ukraine On the imposition of a state of emergency in certain regions of Ukraine of February 23, 2022, № 2101-IX. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2101–20#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Law of Ukraine About the legal regime of the martial law of May 12, 2015, № 389-VIII. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/389-19#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Hladun, O. (2022). If it were not for the catastrophes of the 20th century, there would have been 84 million people living in Ukraine at the beginning of the 1990s. Local histories. Interview, April, 19. https://localhistory.org.ua/texts/interviu/cherez-kilka-rokiv-pisliakatastrofi-vidbuvaietsia-kompensatsiine-zrostannia-narodzhuvanosti-demografoleksandr-gladun [in Ukrainian].
- Kuksa, V. (2016). Internal migration of Ukraine in the conditions of military and socioeconomic Financial Space, 2 (22), 46–50 [in Ukrainian].
- Heraimovych, L. (2022). The impact of the war on the economy of the eastern cities of Ukraine: cases of Mariupol, Kramatorsk and Sloviansk. Donbas Studies. https://donbasstudies.org/vpliv-vijni-na-ekonomiku-shidnih-mist-ukrayini-kejsi-mariupolyakramatorska-i-slov-yanska [in Ukrainian].
- Rozhkova, I. V. (2009). Developing the competitiveness of regional public health Kiev: Feniks [in Ukrainian].
- The entire Kyiv region is liberated from Russian troops – the Ministry of Defense. Radio Liberty (April 2, 2022). https://www.radiosvoboda.org/a/news-kyivshchyna-zvilnenniarf/31782843.html [in Ukrainian].
- Territory – like Belgium: head of the Regional State Administration told about the destruction in the Kyiv region during the occupation (2022). https://kanaldom.tv/territoriya-kak-belgiya-o-razrusheniyah-v-kievskoj-oblasti-za-vremya-okkupacziirasskazal-glava-oga [in Russian].
- Head of the Kyiv Regional State Administration Oleksii Kuleba (2022). Broadcast of the TV marathon «Ukraine is Speaking» of TV channels «Dom» and UATV.
- https://countrymeters.info [in Ukrainian].
- Demographic forecast till 2030 for Drogobych (2019). https://drohobych-rada.gov.ua/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Demografichnyj-prognoz-do-2030-roku-dlya-mista-Drogobycha.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Demographic forecast till 2030 for Nikopol (2013). http://www.nikopol-mrada.dp.gov.ua/pbinf/strateg/demogr.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Development strategy of Lviv Oblast for the period till 2027 (2022). https://loda.gov.ua/upload/users_files/22/upload/Strategy-LV-OBL.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Omelianets, N. (Ed). (2016). The health impacts of Chernobyl and Fukushima 30 and 5 Years Later. Commissioned by Greenpeace. Brussels, March 2016. 98 р.
- Dubova, N., Omelyanets, M., & Gunko, N. (2011). Retrospective analysis of mortality of residents of radioactively contaminated areas as a result of the Chernobyl disaster. Social consequences of Chernobyl: Time of revival. National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Institute of Sociology, Center for Social Expertise. Kyiv, 206–216 [in Ukrainian].
- Omelyanets, N., Gunko, N., & Dubovaia, N. (2015). Demographic loss of Ukraine caused by the Chernobyl disaster. Stop radiation accidents. Germany: Palmarium Academic Publishing [in Russian].
- Gunko, N. V., & Korotkova, N. V. (2020). Integrated Assessment of demographic state of the radioactively contaminated areas of Ukraine. Problems of radiation medicine and radiobiology, 25, 164–179 [in Ukrainian].
- Gunko, N. V., & Korotkova, N. V. (2018). Variability of the modern age structure of the population of the most radioactively contaminated areas of Ukraine. Problems of radiation medicine and radiobiology, 23, 143–153 [in Ukrainian].
- Resolution of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine On the formation and abolition of districts of July 17, 2020, № 807-IX. https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/807-20#Text [in Ukrainian].
- Order of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine On the definition of administrative centers and approval of the territories of territorial communities of Kyiv region, June 12, № 715-r. https://www.kmu.gov.ua/npas/pro-viznachennya-administrativnih-a715r [in Ukrainian].
- Kukush, A. G. (1991). Cubic Univariate Splines in Statistics: Methodical recommendations for students of Faculty of Mechanics and Mathematics. Kyiv: Kyiv State University. 60 р. [in Russian].
- Maiboroda, R. Ye. (2007). Regression: linear models. Kyiv: Publishing House of Kyiv 296 p. [in Ukrainian].
- MATLAB R2017b (2017). https://www.mathworks.com/downloads [in Ukrainian].
- Vyshhorod district, Kyiv region (2022). Decentralization. https://decentralization.gov.ua/newrayons/1347 [in Ukrainian].
- Decree of the Presidium of the Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian SSR On the unification of Ivankiv and Chornobyl districts of Kyiv region of November 6, 1988, № 6860-XI. https://ips.ligazakon.net/document/UP886860 [in Ukrainian].
- Drahunova, T. A., & Maidanik, I. P. (2009). The Modern Tendencies and Factors of the Migration Movement in Kyiv oblast. Demography and social economy, 1, 125–135. https://doi.org/10.15407/dse2009.01.125 [in Ukrainian].
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2022 Gunko, N. V., Kukush, O. G., & Melekestseva, A. A.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.